Thursday 24 September 2009

Wink Wink

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Pret A Manger (more product placement) make the best sandwiches available on the high street. However, their counter staff, in their eagerness to please, are inclined to overdo the love-bombing of the customers. Fervent exhortations to have a great day, or even a great afternoon (don't they know I'm at work?), are issued as standard, along with beaming smiles - which is all very well, I suppose. But now they've gone too far. As I bought a Tuna Nicoise to take away just now, the young man - young enough to be my son, or even, had I been born into the underclass, my grandson - not only smiled as he wished a highly improbable 'great day' on me, he also winked broadly. Yes, winked. What on earth was going on here? Come to think, he did seem to ask me in a rather pointed manner if there was 'anything else' I wanted. Could it be that Pret has a range of 'special' under-the-counter sandwiches, with wildly exotic fillings, available by invitation only? Next time he winks at me, I'll inquire. Or maybe I'll just horsewhip the young puppy for his impertinence... Has anyone else come across this disturbing phenomenon, in Pret or elsewhere?

7 comments:

  1. eek thats quite weird

    I did once get winkingly propositioned by a bigshot TV producer and his wife. As a naive 19 year old I actually thought he had invited me out for a meal to offer me a job. I was also under the impression that his continuous winking was a twitch, until his hand came to rest on my knee, and the sickening realization of what was expected dawned on me.I said I needed to go to the loo before bolting out of the restaurant door and running pell-mell home over Putney Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite is "you all right there sir", did he mean me? do I look ill, infirm, senile, flys undone?, my natural reaction is, eff and mind your own business, then I realise, poor sods been brainwashed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think our Pret a Manger must be run along different management lines. Today, upon presenting my sandwich, I was fixed with a baleful glare and the barked enquiry, "In or Out?". I would certainly prefer a leer and a wink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unsettling to be sure, but is it really any worse than what happened to me at a family restaurant last week when an overweight teen "server" name Shawna lurched over my shoulder to write her name in oversized cursive on the paper table cloth with a crayon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eurgh - Peter, that is truly horrible...
    Sophie, I believe you can fill in Suggestion slips in Prets. Just suggest winking, they'll soon change their tune...
    Malty, it's when they offer you a seat you've got to start worrying...
    Worm, we've all been there - Putney, that is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on the phone to a call centre lad. I didn't catch something he said, and remarked that my hearing is weak. The poor fellow fell over himself apologising, as if I might charge him with, gasp, Insensitivity. Poor sod; so I assured him that all was well.

    Mind you, his dim manager would do well to ensure that I don't have to pick out my respondent's soft voice against the general hubbub of the call centre. Is anything ever well managed in Britain, apart from the odd family business?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my. Consider the alternative, as Sophie has done. I'd much rather have the overeager friendly clerks than the surly grunts of the disenfranchised. Much less chance that they've spit in your sandwich before displaying it in the case.

    ReplyDelete