Wednesday 17 October 2012

Strange Muzak

I've written before about the shock of first coming across Like A Rolling Stone playing as shopping music in my local supermarket. Since then, it seems to have gone onto every retail outlet's playlist and has faded into the sonic background of everyday life. But occasionally piped music can still spring a surprise. The other day I was in a branch of the Camden Food Company (not in Camden, a place I avoid) when I became aware of something playing quietly but insistently in the background. It sounded familiar... Was it...? Surely not? Oh yes it was - it was this haunting and rather beautiful song.
 Well, it's always a pleasure to come across an old friend, in whatever strange circumstances - but I had never imagined I'd hear that one piped out as retail muzak. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?

2 comments:

  1. Love that one.

    Are you into the Fleet Foxes, Nige? Similar territory, two gorgeous albums - often hear them as musak but in places you'd expect, ie. these wood-panelled cafe-bars popping up everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Fleet Foxes I've heard in quite a few coffee bars. Very nice too.

    ReplyDelete