Thursday 20 February 2014

A New Word in the Morning?

Half-listening to the radio this morning, I think I might have caught the birth of a new word. The head honcho from British Gas - of was it Centrica? - was defending his company's performance. Some aspect or other of its ongoing endeavour to make the world a better place, teach it to sing in prefect harmony etc, had been unfairly 'underlooked'. Clearly he was torn between 'overlooked' and 'undervalued', and came out with this novel portmanteau word. It's a good one, I reckon, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it took off. I'll be (half-)listening out for it...

1 comment:

  1. And now, already, I discover the word has a history -

    http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2608

    Truly there is nothing new under the sun...

    ReplyDelete